Our Story – Humble Beginnings
Twenty years ago, Cure JM co-founders Tom and Shari Hume set up the Foundation’s first-ever DIY fundraiser to seed important new research funding. What was the fundraiser of choice? Considering the couple had young children, a lemonade stand was the perfect fit to launch a rare disease nonprofit during humble beginnings.
Fast forward 20 years and $23 million invested in juvenile myositis research later, we have come full circle, paying homage to our early DIY roots. You guessed it! In 2023, we are bringing this simple yet effective fundraiser back. We are excited to introduce our grassroots “Lemons to Lemonade 4 Kids” initiative aiming to have families from around the country join our efforts!
We’re calling on families to join us in the month of August to cap off a great summer with your own lemonade stand. This is a great opportunity to fundraise before heading back to school for our most impressive grant cycle yet!
We’ve come so far, improving the quality of life for many, but there is more work to be done to ensure families everywhere can live in a world free of JM.
About Lemons to Lemonade 4 Kids
As parents, patients, and supporting family members, we understand that a juvenile myositis diagnosis can be one of life’s “lemons.” We’ve decided to turn our lemons into sweet lemonade in support of our mission of finding better treatments and a cure for JM.
Funds raised through “Lemons to Lemonade for Kids” will be directly invested in cutting-edge research projects and expanding access to best-practice clinical care.
Watch this video on why and how to participate by hosting your own lemonade stand!
- Lemonade stands are fun, easy and effective. They also allow our children to participate directly in our mission in a way they don’t always get to.
- Lemonade stands build community and give your neighbors a way to contribute at the most grassroots level. Not only will you represent your city, but you will even be able to represent your block!
- Hosting a lemonade stand is an activity that everyone in the family can join from grandparents to toddlers.
- This is an opportunity to support our mission and give back to our kids before the back to school grind begins. End your summer with a fun act of kindness.
How To Participate
- Message Betsy.Leon@curejm.org with the subject “Lemons To Lemonade.” Betsy will help you every step of the way.
- Click here to fill out the participation form
- Download the participation toolkit
- Download this pdf flyer & About Us flyer to print and share at your lemonade stand
- Submit photos of your lemonade stand. The first 20 photos submitted will receive a limited-edition thank-you gift for participants!
The first 20 participants will receive their color choice of this limited edition “Lemons To Lemonade” t-shirt!